Wisconsin conforming to new federal rules for truckers

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) said Thursday it is following new federal laws that require commercial vehicle operators to show proof of either legal U.S. citizenship or legal temporary status when applying for a renewed, original, or changed authority to their commercial learner permit (CLP) or commercial driver license (CDL).

Drivers with current CDL cards must provide acceptable documentation at a Wisconsin DMV center. U.S. citizens need to have either a valid birth certificate or a valid U.S. passport.

Drivers with nondomiciled notations printed on their CDL/CLP face must show either an unexpired employment authorization document from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services or an unexpired foreign passport with an I-94 form that shows the applicants latest admittance to the U.S.

There are also new rules for those training to be commercial truckers. Drivers training at any truck driving school in Wisconsin and who are not Wisconsin residents must have a CLP from their home state before beginning the behind-the-wheel portion of the training. Starting July 8, these drivers can take the skill test in Wisconsin or return to their home state to take the test.

Organizations in this story

Wisconsin Department of Transportation 4802 Sheboygan Ave Madison, WI - 53705

Get notified the next time we write about Wisconsin Department of Transportation!