Greenwood, Indiana, bridge-replacement project begins in March

Contributed photo

The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) and Johnson County officials recently met with contractor representatives to discuss the county’s sponsorship of a bridge-replacement project in Greenwood.

The $1.2 million project is designed to rehabilitate the Madison Avenue bridge, over Pleasant Run Creek and east of Greenwood Park Mall, between Fry Road and County Line Road.

The contractor is Shutt-Lookabill, an Indianapolis bridge builder. The project requires crews to demolish the current structure and replace it with a three-span, continuous, concrete-slab, reinforced bridge that will be 71 feet long and 59 feet wide.

Crews will need to narrow traffic to the west side of the bridge while the east side is demolished and rebuilt. Phase II requires that traffic be shifted to the east side while the west side is demolished and rebuilt.

Johnson County is funding 20 percent of the project. The bridge will need sidewalks, rails and new street approaches. The Federal Highway Administration is funding the remaining 80 percent.

The project is set to begin in early March, with a projected Sept. 30 completion date.

Organizations in this Story

The Indiana Department of Transportation

Want to get notified whenever we write about The Indiana Department of Transportation ?
Next time we write about The Indiana Department of Transportation, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.